We are a Boston-based investment manager that provides global and international equity investment strategies and fund products to institutional investors such as pension plans, endowments, foundations, and registered/unregistered commingled investment funds. We are a registered investment adviser with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and a registered commodity trading advisor and commodity pool operator with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Our firm manages over $90 billion for over 175 client relationships in North America, Europe and Australasia. Our offices are located at 200 Clarendon Street, Boston, Massachusetts.
The Tax Manager will be responsible for owning and managing the tax function for the management company and the Arrowstreet sponsored commingled funds. Interfacing with third-party providers, the Tax Manager will play a pivotal role in ensuring the complex tax landscape of the organization is appropriately managed from a risk, compliance and planning perspective. The right individual must be excited to handle multiple competing priorities and complex initiatives and be able to adapt in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment. The ideal candidate must also demonstrate high integrity and discretion as he/she will be trusted with handling highly sensitive information. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to be challenged and build a tax compliance function representative of the Company’s goals and standards.
- Preparation of the federal, state, and local tax return work papers, partner tax allocations, estimates, and projections for all applicable entities within the organization structure
- Review the federal, state and international tax returns
- Oversee the partnership and Arrowstreet sponsored commingled funds K-1 preparation and distribution process
- Manage tax matters for Arrowstreet sponsored commingled funds including, tax reclaim process, capital gain accruals and related filings and payments
- Monitor and track upcoming tax compliance obligations and oversee the tax compliance filings
- Leverage and collaborate with external tax advisors
- Stay abreast with tax law changes and identify potential tax issues or areas for tax optimization
- Research complex technical tax topics, prepare memorandums, and communicate research findings effectively to senior management in oral and written form
- Lead or participate in other cross-functional projects.
- Manage budgets, billings, and engagement letters with external tax advisors.
- Assist with the implementation of tax planning and structure
- Assist with withholding tax reporting and capital gains tax analysis
- Assist with FATCA and CRS compliance
- Assist with investor requests related to taxes
- Contribute to new fund or investor launch tax-related considerations and related initiatives
- Improve existing workflows and address potential tax risks
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required and CPA or advanced degree in taxation (MST) preferred
- Must have at least 10+ years of experience with partnership tax issues as well as other relevant areas of federal, state and international taxation for investment managers and hedge funds
- Knowledge of Subchapter K, financial products, wash sale and constructive sale rules, and aggregate allocations and the ability to read subscription documents and partnership agreements
- Knowledge of ASC740 and its implications on different fund structures or domiciles
- Understanding of trader vs. investor rules, incentive allocations and common hedge fund structures (i.e. master feeders)
- Knowledge of required book to tax adjustments, PFICs and experience with managing data and critical inputs from administrators and other service providers
- Must be very detail oriented with superior work ethic and have strong organizational skills
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, leadership, relationship management, time management and verbal/written communication skills
- Must have ability to work in an independent, self-directed manner and to perform equally as well in a team environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is a must
Qualified candidates should submit a resume to email@example.com. No telephone calls please.